Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New York I Love You.



What more can be lamented about New York City that hasn't already been? 


New York for the first time seemed familiar yet at the same time, a maze- easy enough to explore geographically but figuratively bursting at the seams with so many unknown variables- places, things, events and goings-on taking place at every moment. Just to quiet the eternal possibilities in the mind you need to close your eyes and start walking to just let NYC happen to you.
Walk with or without a map, through parks and alleyways, past patisseries and bistros, along brownstone-lined hoods and vintage treasure troves. The burnt smell is like a city on fire and the constant sun flashes- from the billion window panes of the skyscraper forest will equally keep your senses on their toes. At night you push your way through the mob- a literal galaxy of coloured stars right in front of you in the form of dotted street lights, neon "Open" signs and taxi beacons.
My New York sounds like the hard bang of a sugar-plum fairy's ballet slipper after she slips on the newly frosted stage- the loud sound of the wood stirring me from the serene on-stage setting of snow falling in a forest of evergreens.
My New York tastes of the savoury pastries from Lanksy's Jewish deli on the Upper West Side at 2am.
My New York smells like the strange and pungent burning sewers on every street corner- a smell unique to that city, I have never experienced before in London, Paris, Rome or Athens that will always stay with me, now.
My New York is the sight of bricks and mortar artfully moulded around a condensed civilization, unique architecture incubating the inhabitants of Manhattan- I often wanted to see everything all at once, while the locals barely looked up from their feet to notice the true beauty of the concrete.
My New York is the feel of the handshakes I was greeted so warmly by. The kindest people showing off the city they love so deeply. New Yorkers shocked me with their affable disposition. 


Here is my New York City:
I had an outline of a plan... gradually my outline became filled in with the impromptu. 
That is how to do NYC, I think.


 Porter, Toronto
 BIG APPLE from Newark
 Union Square Christmas Market
 NYC Best purchase
 The MET
 Monet at the MET
2nd best purchase... mmm actually best.



 Gaga's Workshop at Barneys NY



 Pianist busker in Washington Square
 SoHo & NoLita



All photos: TheLaurelWreath 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment