Friday, October 2, 2009

Toronto- A Culture Fiend's Oyster

I have some very exciting events to look forward to this fall. With a few of some very dear friends who are fellow patrons of the arts and Canadian culture, I will be experiencing Scotiabank's Nuit Blanche in Toronto on Saturday October 3rd. Speaking of Paris with regards to my last posting, the city was the first to put on the event which attracts night-hawks, performance seekers and art hunters until the wee hours. Kudos to the creators of Nuit Blanche as well as to the folks who have brought the all-nighter contemporary arts event to the T dot. I anticipate visiting zones like the Distillery and around Nathan Phillips Square, where art installations, films and performances will invade both the indoor and unlikely outdoor landscapes of downtown Toronto. The website directs the visitor to zoning maps, information on TTC routes that will be running and outlines the locations of several refueling stations where you might be able to grab a ho-cho or a nibble throughout the night. The uber-cool factor about the website and the event is the "Night Nav" app that they have created for smartphone users. You can vote for your favourite art piece or installation, find your way around the exhibits and you can do much more. The app uses image capture technology synched with GPS features that come on a lot of smartphones. If I had a smartphone, I would obviously download this groundbreaking technology! Read more about it HERE... Hopefully some photos and commentary will find its way onto The Laurel Wreath next week, documenting the night of creativity appreciation and celebration!

I am working at three events in and around fashion week this year on behalf of Faulhaber PR. The events are for the Toronto Fashion Incubator, a party for Project Runway Canada's winner and designer of VAWK, Sunny Fong at the AGO as well as another event to be announced. Really looking forward to these events and I will be blogging about my experiences and my gallivanting during this exciting month.

For a second year in a row, I will be working at LG Fashion Week as a volunteer for the Fashion Design Council of Canada. The shows have relocated from Nathan Phillips Square to King Street which is exciting, new and good for the event- keeps things fresh. I will definitely be able to keep up with the blogging. Stay tuned for that. LG Fashion Week runs October 19th-24th in Toronto.

Happy Anniversary Flare!! In November, I will be working it in Joe Fresh at Flare Magazine's 30th Anniversary Gala which will be held at the ROM (the Royal Ontario Museum in downtown Toronto) and promises to be the most glamorous night the city has seen in some time and will be a great chance to see my former colleagues all dolled up and holding it down! It will be really great to see everything come together after getting in on the prep during the summer!

A few extra finger flips on the calendar brings us to April. An amazing announcement for those who have not yet heard the incredible news: Oscar de la Renta will be unveiling his fall 2010 collection IN TORONTO PEOPLE. Oscar (I feel like I can be on a first name basis with this incredible man, as I have truly coveted a love affair with his designs and perfumed since I was a little girl and I got a gift of his perfume for Christmas) will be staging dinner and show in Toronto on behalf of HealthyKids International, a charity which is affiliated with Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and chaired by Toronto socialite Suzanne Rogers. The Dominican Republic native will do Toronto so much good by arriving in April 2010 after a 10 year absence. I can't wait to see what he brings and how the city will just embrace him and his designs.

Photo Credit: www.adgoog.com/blog/art/29672-la_nuit_blanche_a_paris.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment